Saturday 25 June 2016

Punjabi Pakora kadhi

Pakoda kadhi

When I was a kid and my mother use to prepare kadhi,I kept on telling her to serve me as hot as possible.I use to slurp it without chapati (Indian form of bread)or rice with which it is usually served.I have always loved it!
When I got married I did not know my husband doesn't like Kadhi.I once prepared it and he had it all and.When I came back from states then only I came to know he doesn't like it..it is only because of Pakoras(Fritters)in kadhi he loves having it.Ha ha..think for a year of our marriage, I didn't knew that was the case.
  In kumoan which is our native,we call it Jholi which is a thinner version with vegetables added to it like raddish and potatoes.

Ingredients for Pakoras( Fritters)

1. Gram flour or Besan 1 cup
2. Curd 1/2 cup
3. Turmeric powder ( haldi) 1/2 Tbps
4. Salt 1/2 Tbps
5. Asafoetida a Pinch
6. Onion 2 medium finely chopped
7. Oil for frying

Preparation of Onion Fritters (pakoras)

Take gram flour in a bowl.Add Curd, Salt, Hing, Haldi powder.Mix till thick paste is ready.Add water till batter is thick and smooth. Add finely chopped onion and mix.Take a oil in pan for frying pakoras.
Heat it at medium temperature. Now take a very small ladle.Take a scoop of batter with onions and pour in oil for frying. Fry in low medium heat till Fritters (pakoras)are golden and crisp. Take out Fritters on a paper napkin to soak extra oil.

Ingredients for kadhi(Curry)

1. Gram flour 1 cup
2. Curd 1 1/2 Cup (Butter milk can be used when curd is not available.)
3. Salt to taste
4. Turmeric powder 1/2 Tbps
5.Asafoetida  A Pinch
6. Cumin seeds
7. Fenugreek seeds( Methi Dana)
8. Ghee or clarified butter 1 small ladle
9. Curry patta
10. Red chillies dry 2
11. Parsley

Preparation of kadhi(Curry)

Take gram flour in a bowl, add Curd, Salt, Haldi powder.Mix it.Add water to make a batter smooth and without lumps.Add more water in the batter to make a batter little thinner than before. Take a batter in a pan, heat at medium heat and stir at regular intervals so that it doesn't stick to bottom and give a nice boil till the batter consistency is little thick. Now add Pakoras and again give a boil so the Pakoras or Fritters are moist. Take it out in a bowl.
    Now take Ghee in pan for tempering and heat ,Add Fenugreek Seeds till black, add Hing, Cumin seeds, Curry Leaves and then Red Chillies. Add this to the Pakora kadhi. Garnish with Parsley.Serve hot with steamed rice.




1 comment:

  1. Thank you Somya for sharing succha wonderful Recipe and making cooking easy for people like me..

    ReplyDelete